Dusted Eyes

Dylan - Bedford, New York
Themes: carpe diem

The word wisdom is defined as: to understand what is true, right, or lasting. But is this definition truly correct? Is that all you need to be wise? I believe not. I believe wisdom is knowing life itself. Not knowing what is true or right, but knowing imagination, people, culture, and everything beautiful in the world. To appreciate something like you have ten different eyes, and each eye is from a different person. To live in-between all cultures. Wisdom is showing the true colors of you, letting them brighten up the world in a spectacular way. Picturing life as it was your favorite treat, and taking a small taste everyday until it is finally gone. Each day that taste will be superior to the previous. Caring for others as all men are equal, as our fore fathers wished for everyone to do. To respect others and thank God, whoever you believe he is, for what you have. Taking pictures of beautiful things in life, that you will hold in your heart until the angels are calling. Living in this style is the only way to truly fulfill life itself.

I was taught my belief at the age of nine years old. I plopped down on a chair on my back porch next to my newly eighty year old grandfather. To me he was known as ‘Poppy’. As I looked down on the beautiful scenery in front of my adolescent eyes, I didn’t really think of it as anything special. Then I looked at my grandfather and saw his aged eyes turning slowly to observe the surroundings, glistening with happiness, as if he had never seen anything more picturesque. Then he opened his concealed mouth and spoke to me. “Have you ever realized how blessed you truly are, to live in this enlightened style? Like a king you are compared to me when I grew up. During the time when I grew up, we were working to put food on the table. The depression was around, and so was war. You have to learn to appreciate all the beautiful things in the world, and know they won’t be there forever, and to benefit from all these things in every possible way you can.”

That’s when my mind started to run into every direction not knowing which way would take me out of this puzzle. What does this truly mean? I thought of this moment for many years, until finally two years later as my mind matured to the age of eleven, I figured out what the true meaning of this was: to enjoy every second of life as if it was the last drop of light I will ever see. That to live your life to its potential is the only way to enjoy life. That you aren’t supposed to just live life for the sake of living, you have to live life for happiness.

Now at the age of thirteen, I use this belief as the guidelines to my life. I try to live by these rules during every second of my life, taking advantage of what I have and using these advantages for a good cause. I dream that I want my life to make a difference in the world, and my belief keeps me trying to fulfill my dream.

I have thought of these words often in my life, and they are the words that keep me thinking that there is always something more amazing out there, and to just keep living to the extreme, as life should be lived. You are born with a life, but it is you that must put this life together so it won’t fall apart. My life has stuck together from this belief. How it keeps me going to reach new goals that are important to me being a good person.

My grandfather died last year on March 17th, at the ripe age of eighty three, turning eighty four the next month. He died as a good hearted man. Although he is dead, his spirit and lessons live on in others including myself. I took this lesson from my grandfather, and let it guide my life as it guided his. Now I will pass this lesson on to others so they can live by this belief. I will live by these rules and try to live my life to the fullest, so then when I die I will be satisfied and happy with my life.