Eliza - Las Vegas, New Mexico

Recently I went to Mexico, to a place called Agua Prieta. I went on a school trip to study border issues. While there the people told us stories about how they had to move away from their land in southern Mexico. They were forced to move from the land that they put so much love and energy into. They had to leave their homes and families. They had to move north to the border to make money to send to their families. Take a note for future reference: when you are wanting more or complaining because you couldn’t get what you wanted, remember that people from developing countries such as Mexico, hardly earn enough money to live.

While I was in Mexico, I had to shop to feed thirty people on a factory worker’s salary. We had other mandatory expenses such as rent for the house, electricity bills, and school supplies. That left us with about $12.00 for food, entertainment, clothing and building supplies. With that amount of money we could only buy cheese, cilantro, tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes and green onion. We made Quesadillas and salad for thirty people.

In Agua Prieta, the people who fed us had so little but they were more than willing to share meals with us. We went to a house to eat dinner one night and they made chicken mole, rice and beans. They even made enough for people to have seconds.

Not only did they cook meals for over thirty people, but they shared their homes and their life stories with us. A woman named Miriam, told us about how she traveled with her husband to Iowa. She saw fields and fields of beautiful corn and she started crying. She said, “Why can’t we grow corn like this in our country?” She told us of how the corn in Iowa was thick and you couldn’t see past it. It was like a dream, too good to be true.

Another woman, Carmina told us that one day she found her father crying in the fields in Chiapas because they couldn’t grow coffee anymore; they couldn’t make a living off of it.

Some people call this fair? Well, I say think it through twice.

I think there is an unfairness in the world, an unfairness concerning food. Companies have taken Mexico’s farmland and put big factory farms on it. I believe that the big farms and little farms shouldn’t have to compete. If they do that, people who own the little farms wont have to compete with everyone else just to make it. I think that we should pay more to the people that don’t make enough money rather than buying from the big farms that are eliminating the littler farms. I believe in supporting people who don’t make enough money.