Tips for Survival

Collin - Bryant, Arkansas

I believe in faith and hope for the future. There comes a time in everybody’s life when they well be forced into a challenging, life-altering situation. I believe in the ability to adapt to situations and turn it into something positive.

When i was just five years old my parents seperated. They fought for rights to see my twin sister and me. The struggle lasted untill I was about eight. In these times everything was changing in my life. One day, not long after the seperation, my older brother, Justin, gave me a little talk. We were sitting on the couch together and he said, “Collin, sometimes things don’t happen the way we plan for them to. Some things are out of your control. Things that you were not prepared for.”

Through the hard trials I have endured and experienced and as I mature in age I see more and more often my brothers words ring true. When the times come that seem like they just keep bringing me further and further down and I feel like it can never get better or be fixed, I just look towards my faith. With my faith i believe that everything will get better and be worked out and eventually it always does. I believe that in every darkness a new dawn of light and prosperity is coming.

My mom is a single mom with two teenage kids to support all by herself. Struggles are drawn to my mom like ants to dropped food. Even through all of the struggles and sacrifices to keep us happy, she never gives up hope. Hope helps you along when all else fails. When you give up hope you surrender and give up entirely. Only bad things can come from your surrender.

Adaptation. Adaptation is the key for survival and in this case, a very good tool. Turn your troubles and sorrows into something positive. My older sister, Amber, always finds a positive among all the negatives. Trying to stay positive can take a lot of practice but it can make a complete difference in the end.

Some tips for survival in your hard times: faith, hope, adaptation. My faith. My hope. My adaptation. My survival.