The Gifts of Life

Matthew - Mabelvale, Arkansas

I believe that everyone has their own gifts. In life, people have things that are special about them. Whether it be the ability to speak eloquently and efficiently in public, the skills to throw a football, or just the way of looking at a picture differently from everyone else. From what would be labeled average by peers, to being labeled strange or unusual, people’s gifts range from a variety of things.

To truly use the full extent of your abilities, I believe you need to use your heart. With your heart, soul, and mind, everything you strive to do is better. Lately, I have been seeing many people’s skills in writing. Friends have been writing online, asking for the opinions of others on whether it’s good or bad. When I look at these different pieces of writing, I find them amazing. I realize each one reflects the ideas, values, and perspective the writer has on life, the world, or just themselves. They use their writing to explain how they feel, using the full extent of their heart’s ability.

When you look at the masterpieces of artists and sculptors, you can visualize exactly how they felt when they made that specific work of art. From abstract pieces to landscape drawings, it is just the creator’s heart trying to find a way to release all the feelings that pile inside.

I believe love, empathy, and enthusiasm are the basis of the heart and its gifts. To actively seek to perfect your skills, you have to enjoy it. Dedication and enthusiasm is what sets you towards using your abilities to do what you love. Empathy too, is an important aspect of the heart. To believe in what you do, you must understand yourself and your own desires. To do that, you must first understand the people around you. Understanding the thoughts and feelings of others allows you to grasp onto humanity itself.

This year, I have been drearily different. I have felt and thought differently than I had before. Aside from speaking to a few people, I didn’t tell anyone about my thoughts. Yet, I had little ways of expressing how I felt into words. So, after months of wondering what to do, I had found the answer. Poems. Writing has been a way for me to relinquish my thoughts. I had finally been able to release my feelings, and put them into words.

I believe my poems are good because they reflect my thoughts. The words I choose, the topics I write about. It is all a way for my heart and mind to finally form the words I want to say. With my heart, I can pour all of my emotions and dedication into my works. I am no extraordinary writer, but my words are powerful and meaningful, explaining what my mind cannot.

Everyone uses their gifts and their hearts in different ways. But, no matter how it is used, every ability is unique, and only with love and empathy can they be perfected.