Dreams to Become a Reality

Flamur - Bedford, New York

I’m 13 years old in school trying my hardiest to survive. In the first grade I was really shy and lost. I always thought about my really atheistic teacher and how she was a big question. Now, I’m standing right in front of her. She’s holding a pair of slick black dress shoes. She says that she heard that something special is coming. What was that “special event”? I thought about my uncles wedding. Is this what i’ve been waiting for? A pair of shoes from 1992 from her oldest son who is now 17 years old. What did those black shoes mean? To me these black shoes mean that in order to rock in them, you have to have confidence in your self. A wedding that meant so much to my uncle. In order to believe to be the best, I need to overcome many obstacles, like getting the right shoes and clothes.

I believe in confidence. The only way of achieving your goals, is to over come obstacles and have confidence, to get to those goals. What I believe makes me think of my dad. Coming to America was a big obstacle to over come. He came here with not a smell of money, not knowing how to speak English, not knowing anybody, and not knowing America. His first night, your thinking his going good but no. Sleeping in the park was the only choice he had. Later on he found a job that was truly the most dangerous obstacle to overcome. His goal was to put me in a good place where I have a good school and not have a life on the streets where my cousins began. He knew that it was the only way to go in order to reach that goal. Risking his life and his time for me is what I believe. Later on, he bought a house in Bedford Hills which helped him achieve one of his goals but, not his whole dream. His next goal after marrying my mom was to get her here in America. She luckily came with a visa and they lived happily ever after. Uh, no. My dad now has to survive the challenges of the land of opportunity. He needs to survive in the rich place in Bedford trying to keep his house still going and his dream. He also has to overcome Americans big economy and the challenges facing him.

Now, he has to keep himself wealthy in order to keep his dreams a reality. Following that, he found a business that he always wanted to do. This business is cabinetry which lets him work for himself. After things were going smooth, he finds out what kind of life will he have when he is not able to pass it on? That’s when he finds out that my mom is 3 months pregnant. After my sister Fitore is born, something hits him that will bring down his confidence level 5 levels down. He finds out that his mom just died after being really sick. People would usually cry and that what he did. This was really a big surprise for me because I never saw him cry. He couldn’t even see his mom’s funeral because he didn’t have a visa to go back. This obstacle was really hard to over come because he just lost the person who cared for him and gave him life and survived in the mountains, in a cabin where he was born.

This relates to me now because this was a big obstacle to overcome in order to make his dream come true. When me and my dad went on vacation the last day we where there, we went to his mom and dads graves. I saw my uncles and one cousin that were buried. It was really sad butt when my dad got into the car I saw the tears coming down on his face. My dad is not an emotional person, and seeing that really made me sad butt, this was an obstacle, to come and see his parents was really hard to forget butt, he completed it. He thought about on how his dad never got to see how successful he was. His dream to make me be raised with a nice, happy life has gone one step higher. I knowing that my dad had feelings really helped me talk to him more. This environment that I now live was really hard to be in. Now I also believe in anyone can be what they want if they work hard at it and will go through rough and good times to make their dreams come true. Just like what my dad did.