Control Issues

Tommy - Bedford, New York

A list of things came easy to me early on in life. Sportsmanship and self-control were not on that list. I used to have a very short temper and I would lose my cool on a lot of things instead of working it out or letting it go. I would throw fits when I lost or I would not shake the other teams’ hand. But after one of the biggest baseball games of my life so far, I realized how bad it looks to throw a tantrum or hang your head. I then realized that there is no benefit to losing control of yourself so I decided to change my attitude. After I changed my attitude I felt a lot better. I believe in self-control and sportsmanship.

The baseball game I was describing was over the summer this year. It was the championship of our baseball league, the WPBA 11 and under division. We were playing the number one seed, Armonk and we were the number four seed. Up to the 6th inning we were losing by a few runs. We came back to within one run and there was a man on 2nd and 3rd. I was up and I hit a grounder up the middle and the runner on third scored. Then, the next kid up struck out and we had to hold Armonk scoreless in the bottom of the 6th. Emotions were running high and adrenaline was kicking in on both teams. I looked over to see my friend who struck out to encourage him but I found him sulking on the bench so I left him alone. He didn’t even go out onto the field for the bottom half of the inning. The first batter our pitcher faced got a hit down the 1st base line and since there was no fences, the ball kept rolling and he got an inside the park home run. The pitcher threw his glove down and everyone else on our team blamed the field. Some people were crying and others were throwing a fit. In our meeting after the game, people were cursing and it was way out of control. I was the only one who kept under control.

I learned a huge lesson from this experience. As I said before, sportsmanship did not come easy to me. Up until that game, I almost never thought about those things. But after that game something happened. I realized for the first time that it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. I also realized that the only reason I played was because I loved to play baseball and I wanted to have fun. That event also made me feel differently about my teammates. Since I now know to think first before I throw my glove or bat, I expect everyone else to realize what I had realized. But they have not and now we are to an age where teams in any sport won’t take you because of your attitude. I feel very fortunate to have learned this lesson early on so I don’t learn to control myself after I was cut from a team or suspended from some games from my attitude. Now, I am very happy with the way that I control myself and I believe that everyone should think about this.

I believe that if you learn to control yourself in a sport or in everyday life, you will be faced with a much better situation. I believe that if people control their actions, there would be much less crime and the world would be more peaceful. A way to help is to think about everything you do before you do it. This strategy helped me a lot and I make better decisions now. I believe that if you go about your life following this, you will be successful and happy about the way you live. This I believe.