When I Surrender to God, I Win

Diane - Perry, Utah

When I Surrender to God, I Win

It all started for me 44 years ago when, as a teenager, I gave my life to Jesus Christ. Over the years, the same principal of surrender has played out many times, always for my good. Following my second-in-11-years breast cancer diagnosis and surgery in May 2007, I wrote a letter to friends and family who had been praying for me. An excerpt follows that explains why I believe what I do.

“. . .I want to share something God did to prepare me for being diagnosed again with breast cancer. I don’t believe that this happened just for my benefit. A few days before I had even thought to submit to any testing, I met with a friend for tea. We were talking about our spiritual journeys. As she spoke about herself, I suddenly identified completely. She told me about her long struggle with discouragement and what God had shown her to do. Strangely, I had acknowledged my own discouragement just the day before, and so it was easy to agree with her that lying down in a fetal position on the battlefield of life was not the posture God intended. He has a better plan, and that is standing up in His love and strength.

Warren Wiersbe said in his book What to Wear to the War, ‘Discouragement comes when we forget the blessed hope we have in Christ, when we forget the Great Captain of our salvation is coming to save us and to take us to glory. It comes when we start walking by sight and not by faith, when we give in to our feelings and quit.’

Even while my friend was still speaking, I made the decision to surrender myself anew to my Creator and to stand up, not in my own power but in God’s. I had to stop living like a victim and instead obey in the direction that He was showing me. The next morning when I looked at myself in the mirror, I saw something new in my eyes—my inner woman was up!

Because I believed that God would continue to answer a very deep need, one that I sensed was coming but had yet to understand and deal with, I began strangely anticipating His direction, actually finding peace in the testing, diagnosis, and subsequent surgery. He was leading me and watching out for my good.

. . .In the hospital after the mastectomy, when I was feeling vulnerable in the darkness of the room, my emotions were flat and I didn’t feel at all spiritual, but I knew deep down that God was carrying me and encouraging me to keep on walking toward Him. In essence, when I chose to submit myself to Him for whatever the future held, I basically entwined myself around Him, exchanging my weakness for His strength.

This is a happy enigma–when I surrender to God, I win! That’s what I believe.”