What Will Tomorrow Bring?

Tessa - Bryant,, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that life should be lived like there’s not going to be a tomorrow. All my life I’ve lived in worry and fear about upcoming events or situations that I thought I couldn’t handle. Only recently did I realize that most of those things weren’t something that needed to be worried about. I can’t control what life brings me, but I can take the good things out of it and I can turn those situations into an adventure and make them memories that won’t be forgotten.

It started on a Wednesday night at church. Our youth pastor played a video recorded during a Sunday service in another state. The preacher that day wasn’t man telling his story of how he became a Christian, but it was a kid around my age. He was telling his story of how he was diagnosed with cancer when he was young.

He had been through chemotherapy many times in his life. He explained that chemotherapy is a treatment for cancer patients, but it caused him to look sickly and it didn’t always work like the doctors hoped it would. I took a good look at him then and realized that he did look unhealthy. He was so thin that most bones were noticeable and he was as pale as a sheet. It sounded like breathing was a struggle for him, though I’m not sure if it was from his emotions or his sickness.

He went on to say that the doctors told him that there was nothing more they could do for him. That he was going to die. They didn’t expect him to last three months, but what shocked me was that he said that they told him that three months ago. For three months he lived, knowing he could’ve died at any moment. He said, “ It would be so easy for me to fall asleep tonight, slip into a coma, and not wake up.”

He said that he doesn’t feel sorry for himself and he doesn’t want others to feel sorry for him. The one’s he feels sorry for are us. He felt sorry for us because we can’t understand what it’s like to know you can die at any time and any place. He said that he treats every breath and every day like a miracle. He treated every moment like it was his last because it very well could’ve been.

The video touched my heart in a way that made me want to break down crying right then and there. Imagine what it would be like to live your life to it’s fullest because you knew you were going to die soon. I try my hardest to forget my worries and to relax. I believe that we should all appreciate what we have in life and to remember that there are people who have it worse than we do. Everyday will be a lasting memory to me and every moment will be lived to its greatest measure.