The Things I’ve Never Missed

Halyn - Northfield, Minnesota

I believe in always trying something new. Although I’m only fifteen, I can say I’ve done a few things in my life that I’m proud of. I’ve swung from a willow vine, teaching myself to fly. I’ve eaten sushi with wasabi sauce, and learned that I prefer my fish wrapped in seaweed. I’ve also swam with jellyfish in the Golf of Mexico, and from that I gained nothing but love for the water. My whole life I’ve lived with one belief, don’t be scared to try something new.

I’ve been risking everything from limbs to my taste buds since I was about four years old. When I was younger, my sister and best friend was for lack of a better word a wimp. She was too scared to slip on the ice or see how far we could go before anyone at home noticed us gone. It seemed to me that she just never had any fun. So I vowed the day she wouldn’t climb on top the jungle gym, that I was going to do everything that I could.

It seems pretty weird for something a four year old to think of, but I have always been adventurous. I look for new things to do, always getting bored with the old. So with that promise to myself about eleven years ago, I’ve accomplished so much. For my eighteenth birthday I’m promised a sky diving trip. When I turned ten my aunt took me deep sea fishing, where we were followed by wild dolphins and I caught a shark. When I was seven I fell asleep under the stars on my roof with my neighbor. Its as easy as taking the dare, accepting the challenge, or just saying “ok” every once and awhile.

I believe in always trying new things, because new things can change your life and your perspective on the world. Be open minded, because you don’t know what will make you happy until you try it. Trying new things can create new opportunities for you, and you can only benefit by doing something as easy as putting aside you fears of the unknown and jumping into something unfamiliar. I believe in trying something new, for the sole purpose of having fun by conquering the unknown.