Weighing Walton

Zachary - Auburn, Pennsylvania

I believe in truth. In an ever changing culture, the premise of post-

modernism is beginning to reign supreme. With culture expressing the belief that whatever you believe to be true is fine but that just isn’t true for me, simply doesn’t make much sense. For if everything is true then there is no false, and there is no rhyme or reason for anything that happens in life.

Growing up in a Christian home it was easy for me to believe there is an

ultimate truth out there. After all it is a huge building block for the Christian faith. Christianity is based on the idea of an ultimate reason for everything, whether we may understand or not. When I was in my sophomore year of high school my father was laid off from work by his brother-in-law. There was no reason for the lay-off, he was doing well at his job, but he was just let go with no conceived reason or warning.

I questioned for years why something like this had to happen. Why was it

necessary at all? Struggling to find a reason for this catastrophe, I came up with a solution that many people use… life just isn’t fair! Bad things just happen sometimes, there is no reason or truth behind it.

After a long process of forgiveness over the situation, I began to again

question why this had to happen. Rather than pulling out the common answer, I

decided to dive into the heart of the subject. To find the answer I talked with those I

trusted and read the bible on the subject. My answer finally came while standing by

Walton pond at the start of my first semester of college at Eastern University. I was just leaving a profound worship service and my past was weighing on my mind. The smell of freshly cut grass and blooming flowers, comforted my emotions. Standing at the edge of the rippling water, my answer slowly came to me. My answer was

simple but powerful. I realized that I would never have ended up here at Eastern

University unless my father was laid off. If that seemingly horrible day hadn’t

happened I never would have moved, I never would have the relationships I have

now, and I never would have grown as much as I have. All of those incidents have

brought me to this point at Walton pond.

While at times we might not understand why something horrible has to

happen, I know I can take comfort in the fact, that there is a reason behind the pain. I

take comfort in understanding there is a truth behind it all, this I believe.