Stiving To Potential

Sarah - Bryant, Arkansas

I believe everyone should see the inner potential in themselves and to accomplish anything they want. If I do the things I love for myself and not for anyone else, I can live up to what I can be and not worry about what others think of me.

When I am tumbling, all I think about is just being me, doing my best, and not making a mistake. I had a wonderful coach that told me I can do anything if I set my mind to it. When I was in third grade, I started private tumble classes with Mrs. Pam Jones. We worked together eight hours a week, sometimes more. Normally, there were just the two of us, a “one-on-one” deal. She always pushed me harder and harder to keep me progressing. She never allowed me to give up. I always admired her support in everything I did. She would tell me, “Be yourself and do not change for anything or anyone. If I ever considered quitting, she would stop our private class time, sit beside me and say “If you are not here for yourself, then leave.” One day when I was in the fifth grade, I was learning how to do my tuck. I was so frustrated at myself that I just broke down. I just sat there and said I can’t do it, it’s hopeless. She was so mad at me. She asked, “So you’re just going to give up just like that?” Mrs. Pam is not the person to tell you’re going to quit just because you don’t believe in yourself. If you start something, you have to keep going and finish it. So I jumped up, went to the spring floor and threw my tuck. I did it perfect. That’s how striving to my best potential is the best for me.

I believe the worst thing in the world is not having confidence in what you do. If I just give up, what am I accomplishing? Nothing! Why would I want to do that? What’s the point? These are questions I ask myself when things get tough. Seeing wasted potential hurts. These problems occur every single day. So I tell myself what Mrs. Pam always told me. Just keep going and pushing harder and harder to get what you’re striving for. Strive to do my best in everything I do. I’m in it to win. So don’t quit and lose, just simply strive for my goal with all of my might and will.