Togetherness in the Midst of Tragedy

Kaitlyn - Damascus, Maryland

Finding Togetherness in Tragedy

Togetherness is being close to another person both physically and emotionally. Togetherness is something that has become absent in our society today. With the advances in technology that have taken place over the past century, face to face contact has become less and less regular and non-face to face contact has become normal. Things such as the internet, text messaging, cell phones and e-mailing enable this. These enablers allow someone to be anywhere at any given time and communicate with another person. Although convenient at times, this is causing our society to be unsocial. However, in a time of tragedy, a time of need, people are still able to come together and provide aid. Whether this help is moral support or providing for someone’s physical needs, they are always there when they’re needed, no matter what things were like before. I believe that tragedy brings people together.

I can remember one instance where this was the case. I experienced tragedy where a life was lost and people came together to support the family and friends, to deal with the sorrow and other things that required attention. In the month of March, 2007, I experienced the loss of a friend. I had been going to school with Tyler since kindergarten. We had endured countless classes together, talked in the hallways in between classes and seen sports events together. I will never forget the fateful Sunday morning my phone went off. When I glanced at it, it was a text message from my best friend. The message was to inform me that there had been a car accident and that Tyler had died. Going to school the next day was not going to be enjoyable. Walking into school was never going to be the same. There was a sense of mourning that hung over the school. Teachers allowed students to sit in the hallways during class time to talk, cry, pray. Students comforted other students. People that I had not talked with for months or years suddenly became the only ones that I could relate with, the only ones that really understood.

My high school consisted of those people that would not talk to you unless you belonged to their “group” or if they had a problem with you. So in this time of suffering and sorrow, no one knew what to expect. To be walking through the hallways and see people crying, hugging and praying together was phenomenal. There was physical and emotional comfort between people who, under any other circumstances, would not even look at each other when they passed in the halls. To this day there is a sense of togetherness within the group of people that knew Tyler. Tragedy happened that day and we all pulled together, and this is why I believe that togetherness can be a positive result of tragedies.