Never Grow Up

Taylor - Metairie, Louisiana

There are only a handful of beliefs I have kept through my adolescence. I’ve believed a multitude of different things during my teenage years. For example, I used to believe that Green Day was the greatest band in the world during my eighth grade year. Ninth grade I believed that wearing huge belts over my shirts was a wonderful fashion statement. And in my sophomore year I was convinced that my (now ex) boyfriend was “the one,” as many young girls think of their first boyfriends. Junior year brought the fear that school may actually get the better of me with the work load I was given. As absurd and laughable as these ideas may have been they all tie in with my ultimate mantra of “being grown up isn’t half as fun as growing up.”

While my belief is borrowed from The Ataris song “In this Diary,” I believe in it thoroughly. In fact, this line can be found written hastily on my bedroom mirror. As a teenager this lyric is relevant to me because in society’s terms I am still “growing up.” While this is a true fact, I believe that even sixty-seven year olds are still “growing up.” Just because you’re an adult in no way implies that the growing and experiences of life must end. I believe that as long as we continue to learn, we continue to grow, or “grow up.” What’s more fun than experiencing life and learning along the way? As the saying goes, it’s not the destination, it’s the journey.

While all the experiences of growing up are not pleasant (not that I have to remind you), the ones paramount ones make up for any negative encounters of life. As tough as loss, heartbreak, sickness, and overall confusion are to deal with, those emotions pail in comparison to the feelings a person experiences during a first kiss, laughing until it hurts, finding independence, and even beginning a family. All these experiences make up the “growing up” part of life and are, in my opinion, the best parts of living. As strange as this may sound, I sincerely hope that you may never become grown up.