Dedication

Lindsey - Bedford, New York

I believe in dedication. If you are going to do something, you might as well commit to it and do it right. I have had many experiences where I had to dedicate myself to something or someone. In the end, it always felt good to know that I actually accomplished my goal. I also regret not dedicating myself to a couple of things. Dedication is an amazing quality to have.

When I was nine, I loved to ride my bike. Another thing I loved was going to Vermont. I went with my family almost every year and it was something I had always looked forward to. My dad would put all our bikes on top of our car and we would drive there. When we arrived, we would set our things up in the hotel room and then my dad and I would take our bikes down and we would ride on the road. We usually rode about three or four miles a day. When I got tired, we would head back to our cute little hotel in Ludlow. My dad would usually ride some more. He would go faster and farther. I would always want to follow him. So on the day we were leaving, he made me a promise. He said that next year, he would take me from Ludlow to Hawk and back. That was fifteen miles! He never broke that promise.

The next year flew by and soon I was ten. He knew I wouldn’t forget. As soon as we got to our hotel, we took our bikes down from the car and then we were off.

I started out fine. I loved racing across the road while the wind was blowing through my hair. It made me feel so free. When I was on the road, I didn’t have a care in the world. I was so happy and I believed I could do it.

After about six miles, my energy started to run out. I got tired, but I knew I couldn’t stop. I kept going. After seven miles, I was the happiest nine-year-old in the world. We had reached hawk.

Finally, I got off my bike and collapsed on the ground. I was lying there for about ten minutes. Then, we started to go back.

Our small little hotel room looked better and more welcoming than ever before. I was so proud of myself because I knew I had done it. I didn’t give up and it had definitely paid off. If I hadn’t dedicated myself to finishing what I started, I never would have succeeded. I never would have had that amazing feeling that I had on that day. Dedication is one of the best qualities a person can have. This I believe.