The Best Kind of Family

Danyetta - Saint Louis, Missouri

As a child, I grew up with an older brother, a younger sister and brother, and a bunch of cousins. My mother has thirteen brothers and sisters; my father has seven brothers and sisters. All of my cousins (including myself) are close in age, which made my childhood very interesting. For instance, my older cousins and I would play church on my Aunt’s staircase every weekend or they would tie me up against a wall pole and try to stick a clean sock in my mouth. Yuck! Sometimes we were allowed to walk to the neighborhood park, where we would play Hide n Seek or have a swinging contest. On different holidays, my family would go over a family member’s house and catch up on things with one another. These special family gatherings helped me see how valuable relationships are and what it means to have a BIG family. I believe that my family is the only people in my life that helps me live my life to fullest.

Throughout my embarrassing moments in my life, my family has laughed and cried over some of the things I did. For example, when I would fall up or down the stairs, a relative would ask if I was alright and then they laughed at me, the time I got my backpack stuck on an artificial tree plant over my grandmother’s house, everyone-including my uncles and aunts- laughed at me and did not bother to help me up. Oh! How about the time I spent the entire day wearing two left shoes. On the other hand, when it came to graduations, birthdays, and other important events in my life, my family was there when I needed them. The point I am trying to make is that my family gave me comfort and support when I needed it.

My family members are the smartest and the coolest people I have ever know. I know they are not “The Incredibles”, but they are much better than that. They are humans like everyone else around us. They do not fight crime at night or use super powers. The only power they can posses is the power of love. Through the good and bad times, my family have stuck together and never let anything break us apart. Without them I would not be the same person I am today or any other day.