Mistakes, the roots of succession

Gerard - Bedford, New York

I believe in mistakes. I believe that “A man’s errors are his portals of discover.” as stated by James Joyce. In other words I believe that a man’s mistakes are needed in order to discover, learn, and succeed. I believe fear of failure is a barrier. It’s good to make mistakes; it can make you a better person.

I first believed all of this because I made a big mistake. The ‘big mistake’ I made was the first time I stole. I was at Toys R Us and there was a book I really wanted. I begged my mom again and again for it but she wouldn’t buy it for me so I stole it. As my mom and I returned to the car the stolen book fell out of my pocket. The fallen book was then picked up by my mom and then returned to the store. As well as having to return the book my mom also gave me a strong lecture on why stealing is bad.

This mistake I made helped me because it taught me that stealing is bad and that if you were to steal you can go to jail. Mistakes though are only good if you learn from them. One mistake I have made a few times is lying. I keep on making this mistake because I haven’t given much effort to not lie. I feel shameful for not giving the effort to stop lying because it is a terrible mistake. I believe though, eventually I will learn from this mistake and will never lie again. Mistakes can lead to tragedy if not learned from.

I believe in the way Suzann Rye looks at mistakes. “Each time you make a mistake and learn from it, it is like making a deposit into your bank account. Your knowledge expands and grows until one day you have so much in your account that you can afford to share freely with others. The more you give out, the more you will get back. So your wealth is automatically growing and expanding even more.” In my own words I believe that making a mistake is the beginning of succession.

I believe that mistakes are the roots of succession. Oh wait, did I mention that the stealing incident at Toys R us was my last theft?