As Modern Media is to Modern Values

Nick - Mesilla, New Mexico

I believe that the way media is used and viewed in the world today has had a very large impact on the thought process’s and values of people, and I believe that if the way media is used is changed, it has the potential to drastically change the viewpoints of many people’s perspectives on life and their moral upstanding.

Before the time of modern technology, there was still corruption, violence, and sexual immorality, but it was not as easily accessed and viewed in those days. You couldn’t put in a movie and watch unnecessary violence, you couldn’t type in a website to view inappropriate material, you couldn’t turn on the radio and hear biased outlooks and opinions of the news networks. Imagine how civilized people used to be in public, tipping their hats to strangers as they walked by on the street, women would never pose nude in front of people on the streets.

What has modern technology and media done to our values, today? School shootings are largely blamed on violent video games, and movies. Many people lose all hope when their “trusted news networks” tell them that there is no hope; only telling news of how many soldiers have died that day, what medical epidemic is spreading, what terrorist attack has happened; why not take some time to broadcast about how a local homeless shelter was built or how a large donation has given hope to thousands of children in other countries so they will finally be able to eat more than a dime’s worth of food. Pornography has become one of the most addictive substances in the world, more-so than drugs. The Internet makes this material so easily accessible to people of all ages. A 6 year old could accidentally stumble upon material like this, and begin a process of corruption that seems to be starting earlier in children as technology gets better. Movies’ rating system has also changed; PG-13 movies now can contain some nudity!

As a filmmaker, I try to make my material the kind that is uplifting and not include the themes that can potentially corrupt people of today.

Today’s pop-culture suggests all of this is ok and acceptable. Today’s celebrities have been made famous through media; starring in movies, posing in a photograph, being glorified through magazines and the news. Many of these celebrities take delight in their fame and figure they can do whatever they want. They begin doing drugs, or drinking. They get married and divorced as often as bunnies reproduce. But do these people know that there are generations of people that look to these people as role models? Do they know that by their actions they are influencing millions of people? In the days before technology the only famous people were Royalty, Religious Leaders, and Military Leaders. These were the role models of the day. Now due to popular culture and the easily accessed and biased media, the world is drastically being changed.