Making a Difference

Sophia - Bedford, New York

Have you ever done something that changed your life or the way you think? I believe that helping someone is a renewable resource. I believe that to help someone you don’t need to do a major thing. Hi, my name is Sophia Bastone, I go to Fox Lane Middle School, and I am in 7th grade. In the beginning of this year my classmates and I watched the movie Pay It Forward. After, we had to do a project influenced by the movie. We each had to either “Pay it Forward,” which was to do three small deeds, which hopefully would get spread around the community (ex: helping a teacher out after school hours, food for the homeless etc.) or you could do “Taking Action” and that was when you had to do one deed that a bigger difference (ex: fundraisers, etc.). I chose to do “Taking Action.”

Taking action helped me view the world in a different way. It made me think of the people who had less that needed more. That was never going to change if we didn’t help and take a stand! For my project, I was going to help raise money for Epilepsy and participate in the Epilepsy walk that was held on November 2nd, 2008. I got to the sign in desk with the $253.67 that I had raised and I was ready to do my part. That was my day, the day where I felt like I was making a difference.

I raised the money by organizing a bake sale at my school. First, I talked to my house director (our school is divided up into houses; east, west, and south and each house has a director) and we discussed on good dates to do the two bake sales that I had planned. Second, I made flyers that hung all around my school, so people would know that the bake sale was coming! Third, I made arrangements to have the fundraiser/bake sale on the morning announcements. That way, everyone will not just see the flyers, but hear it on the announcements too! Finally, the day of the first bake sale came and I was ready to get to work because it wasn’t just about selling some treats, it was about helping someone and making a difference, even if it wasn’t giving out a million dollars.

At the bake sale, I sold everything in about twenty minutes in the thirty minute time span. Everyone was not just interested in the back sale, but also asking about the disease; Epilepsy! I knew that if I stuck to it more people might want to go to the walk and maybe even help raise some money too! On the second day of the bake sale I made twice as many treats I made the previous day and sold it all in about half of the time! It was as if the students were racing to get the last blue ribbon. I felt really good about myself because I wasn’t doing any of this for me because it wasn’t about me it was about helping people who are diagnosed with Epilepsy. That day I smelled something new in the air, something fresh.

So, after I raised the money I brought every single dollar to the Epilepsy Walk. At the walk, I helped out by directing people where to park and if they had any in the walk. It took place at Fox Lane High School’s track. It was good to see the community questions they could ask me. The walk was a big success; there was a band, lots of people, and great food! After I helped the people who were running the fundraiser I then participated get together and help someone else other than ourselves for once.

When you help someone it is like a treasure. It’s something very valuable. Even the littlest things make the biggest differences. Whether you’re doing something like; participating in a walk, giving money to your church, or giving food for the homeless. I believe that to help someone you don’t need to do a major thing. I believe that helping someone is a renewable resource.