A Season of Hope

Sharon - Franklin Park, New Jersey

In life there are times when you fall and feel as though you will never make it through. Every time you try something it’s never good enough and you fail. You feel as though you want to give up and forget about every trial or struggle you are going through. This was my story all throughout my senior year in high school. As time went on I realized there’s always a season of hope waiting for you at the end of every trial.

During my senior year, applying for colleges and scholarships were very stressful and also disappointing. It seemed as though I would always get let down. When it came down to applying for colleges; I didn’t get accepted to any of the colleges I wanted to go to. Also when it came to applying for scholarships, I didn’t get chosen for those either. I was very unsure what I was going to do with my life. I tried my hardest to do well and achieve the goals I set forth for myself, but it always seemed as though my hardest was never good enough.

Although these trials were coming my way I never gave up even though I wanted to. During my senior year I was in the 2008 Ebony Suburbanite Debutante Cotillion. This cotillion was a coming out for girls during their senior year in high school. This was an opportunity for girls to shine and show their parents what beautiful young ladies they have grown up to be. This was very exciting for me because I had never done anything like this in my life. During the Cotillion process each girl was asked to raise money. This money would go towards a scholarship for each girl. At the end of the Cotillion there would be an award and a first place prize given to the girl who raised the most money.

I worked very hard along with my parents and loved ones to raise money for my Cotillion. We did many fundraisers and different activities that contributed to it. When it came down to the end, I remember sitting in my seat, wearing my beautiful white gown, and waiting for the announcers to call my name and tell me how much money I raised. My palms were sweaty and I was extremely nervous. Everyone’s names were being called for multiple scholarships such as academic, personality and more. I started to become sad and weary. Finally it was time for them to announce the winner. I hadn’t got called once throughout the whole cotillion, but I still was unsure that I was going to be the winner called. Finally they announced the winner and it was me! I was surprised and shocked I never I had won anything like this in my life. All of the let downs and discouragements I experienced went away at that moment. I had raised the most money and I was going to get a great scholarship for college. This was the greatest experience of my life. I believe with hard work and perseverance you can accomplish anything.