Mother Love

Hailey - Mt. Pleasant, North Carolina

I have always been told that when you believe in something, that belief should be unshakeable, undeniable. As a kid, I was basically told what to believe in, and I was taught right from wrong. Growing up my beliefs have always been shaky, never susceptible to one thing, or one belief. Yet, now as I grow up with more experiences and more challenges, I finally begin to realize one thing that has been consistent throughout my entire life – The love between my mom and I.

I was born to my mom when she was only eighteen, and though that is a story is one of it’s own, I still feel the same love for her as I did when she sat down and colored with me, when I begged her to give me “homework” before I was even old enough to go to school, when she taught me how to read, when she played softball with me in the yard, and when she kissed me goodbye to prom last spring. When I see old photographs of my mom, each one conveys her spirit – full of life and youth.

I once read a quote by Marion C Garretty that read: “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” I have never heard a quote that was quite as true as this. Through my whole life, I truly know that her love is what has driven me to become the person I am today. She definitely deserves credit for my hard earned grades and soft-hearted character. When I was younger, I always made everyone else’s problems my own. I was very compassionate as a child and I still feel like I am today. There is no way I could have learned the same consideration I have for others without her.

Every now and then, something will come up that my mom and I don’t see eye to eye on, and I have to admit, things can get a little heated. We usually fight over things like me being disrespectful, or not being at home enough. We often try to hide our feelings and just “forget” things, which often lead to an explosion of emotions. However, the thing I love best about this is how close I feel to her after an apology and a warm hug.

The arguments, however, are easily outnumbered by the vast nice things she does for me and my sisters. Whether it’s her bringing me a brownie when she comes to pick me up from school, lighting a candle in my room to make it smell welcoming when I get home, or a simple “I love you”, my mom never fails to make my day a little (or a lot) better. She is always there when I need a shoulder to cry on, an attitude adjustment, or a laugh. There is nothing in the world that can break the bond between a mother and daughter, and this I truly believe.