portal to your heart

Jessica - Mount Pleasant, North Carolina

Eyes are used to help us see, to let us cry from sadness and from joy. To let us sleep when we close them. They also serve another purpose one we don’t think of or realize very often Our eyes show our everything, every lie, every secret, every love, everything. Our eyes are like a portal to our hearts that we can’t hide. I believe in eyes. Nothing can be hidden away forever it becomes exposed in the long run. Eye contact is often avoided. Some think that just because you plaster on a big smile with a lot of makeup it will make it go away or at least “hide it” for right then. The makeup smears and gets smudged, washed away the smile you once had has faded to a sorrowful frown. The tears are starting to flow, you have been exposed. Everything is out in the open now, all the lies, every time you have been hurt, everything. The truth shines through like the sunrise through snow covered trees occasionally getting caught in the snow, which later melts away. Shame shows, lies show, hurt shows. Everything you were trying to hide begins to show. So much was hidden behind those green, blue, brown, hazel eyes. All the hurt comes out slowly comes out as your pupils dilate we see how hard it is to be you. It’s kind of like the old saying “You never know someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.” No one knew how much I was holding back. All my secrets were safely held back behind my eyes. They were in my soul, locked away for ever. No one knew, until I was sent to her. She looked at me as I walked in. I sat down slowly feeling her eyes watching my every move. I stared at the ground not wanting to be there. She said in a kind voice, “Hello Jessica.” I nodded. She asked if I would talk to her I only shrugged. I didn’t need her judgment, her criticism. I didn’t need it. She asked me to at least look at her. I did, avoided eye contact at first. Eventually I looked her dead in the eyes. She smiled and said “You have so much to say, but you don’t want to let it out.” I didn’t say anything I just thought to myself “How does she know this?! I haven’t even said anything!” She continued to stare in my eyes, I looked around the room. She asked me if I had fears. I said “of course, everyone has fears.” She said “You fear you will be left alone, no one to talk to, only yourself, and your mind don’t you?” I looked up and said “and Where did you come up with that theory..” knowing it was true. She said “I looked in your eyes..and everything started showing”