The Crash That Saved My Life

Max - Bedford, New York

When was the last time you over estimated your skills and ended messing up? I believe in being aware of your ability. I adopted this belief last year when I learned to ski. I was speeding down a trail that was too difficult for me with snow blowing in my face. I knew it would be a challenge, but I still decided to try it. I was invincible. I shot down faster than I’d ever gone when suddenly I tripped on my skis and stumbled into the woods. It was one of the scariest things that had ever happened to me. I just remember how terrifying it was approaching the trees and not being able to stop. I’d lost both skis and poles and was in extraordinary pain. I was a little shocked and dizzy. I felt like I couldn’t move. Fortunately, my brother had noticed and came to the side of the trail to help me out.

After flying into the woods I felt upset and disappointed in my ability. Luckily I was fine but since that day, I have been much more aware of my ability. Since then I have also used this lesson by staying off trails that are too difficult for me.

Not only in skiing but also riding my bike and playing sports. I believe that knowing your boundaries is important.

Now, I am happy I learned this lesson without getting hurt or injured badly. When I think back I still am disappointed in myself, but at the same time I am happy I learned this lesson. I think that this crash may have saved my life because I learned this lesson just walking away with a bruised arm instead of waking away seriously injured.

I learned to look before I leap. This I believe.