Miracles Do Happen

Sabrina - Bedford, New York

Have you ever given up hope on someone you love? Have you ever almost lost someone that you care so much about? Well, I have and it was one of the hardest times of my life.

Just a few months ago my dad got a call from my cousin who lives in Jamaica. He told my dad that my aunt was in the hospital because her diabetes was giving her a really hard time. My parents didn’t tell me at first because they knew I would be really sad and upset since my Aunt Daisy was one of my favorite relatives. But after a while my parents couldn’t hide it from me any longer. When they told me I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I felt like I had just eaten a hundred hot dogs and was ready to throw up. I thought back to all the wonderful times we had together. When I went to Jamaica I would always go to see her first. She would make my mom my dad and me a cup of tea and she would bake biscuits and we would talk and laugh all night long. Her house always smelled very sweet, like Halloween. In the morning she was always the first one up and she was always really happy and optimistic with a huge smile on her face ready to take on the day ahead of her. She would always offer me breakfast and after that we would play cards or walk up the hill behind her house. When you look down the hill you would see the golden sun set fading above the town.

When I heard about my aunt in the hospital it was definitely shocking. For days I was very sad. Every day I would come home asking my parents if I could call my aunt and ask how she was doing, they would usually say I don’t need to because she’s fine. But after a while I got the idea that she wasn’t so fine. So one day I decided that I should call my cousin to find out what was really going on. When I called he told me that she wasn’t doing so well and that she was dying.

After that day my parents finally told me that she was on life support. For about two weeks straight I would come home from school and ask my mom or dad if she’s better yet. It would always be a no, but suddenly I decided I didn’t no what the point of even asking was. I stopped asking about my aunt and I would pretend as if I didn’t care about if she died or not, I felt like a balloon with no air. For some reason I gave up hope.

Weeks and weeks past and I when my parents would talk about my aunt I would say something like “she’s going to die” or “what’s the point of talking about a dead person?”. I know that deep inside I didn’t mean what I was saying but my thoughts were that I should just give up hope on her so that when she died I wouldn’t be as sad. But I realized that that wasn’t going to work.

A month passed and my aunt was back at home and feeling a little better and that’s when I found out that you should never give up hope on someone you love and care so much about. If you give up hope the people around you will give up hope. My aunt taught me that. When she was better I called her and she told me that why she is still alive is because she didn’t give up hope on herself and she kept saying to her self “I’ll make it”. From that day on I told myself that I would be like my aunt and never give up hope. Even though my aunt died a couple of days after she told me that, I still keep her word with me when I feel like giving up hope. I say to myself this I believe.