Loyalty In Eyes

Alex - Bedford, New York

Who or what is loyalty in your eyes? I believe here is loyalty in every living thing. Parents, teachers, clerks, builders, and especially dogs. The phrase “a man’s best friend” had me thinking on how a dog could be loyal. Maybe a dog could play with you when you’re bored. Or maybe by getting your favorite toy when it’s in the water and he jumps in and gets it. I believe in paying it forward. Something happened to me that changed my thinking of how dogs can be loyal and how they could be a “man’s best friend”.

How do you consider a dog to be loyal? I was ten years old and I was more excited than a person who just won the super bowl. I was going camping in my backyard. I could just smell the smores crackling and popping above the fire. My dad said to be careful because there were coyote watches all over Bedford. Especially near David’s Way. So my mom and dad went with me to go camping. My brother would have come but he a sleep over with his friend. We packed three sleeping bags. I was so excited I thought I was going to explode. We bring our two dogs Boo-boo and Ginger. So off we went into our backyard.

We played a board game and watched a movie on my computer. We tried to sleep but our dogs kept us up by walking over us. I think everyone or everything could get annoying. We made the dogs sleep out of the tent. This worried me because I didn’t want to have the risk of our dogs to get carried away by coyotes just so we could get a few hours of sleep. I believe there is always fear in everyone. Even if they don’t want to admit it. And my fear was showing right there. But when I heard the wind slowly whistling through the trees, I slowly drifted myself to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of the birds chirping happily like they are just as happy as a boy who just got a video game. Or a girl who just got a Barbie. I was very cozy in my sleeping bag and I didn’t want to get out of my sleeping bag. So I kept sleeping. My mom and dad snuck out of the tent like James Bond snuck out of a sight to make breakfast. The dogs were alright. My mom was calling the dogs in for breakfast. Ginger went to the house faster then you could say “Wow she’s Fast”. However, no matter how many times my mom called Boo-boo, he wouldn’t move an inch. I believe there was always a heart in everything. Even in non living things. At first my mom didn’t know what he was doing. But when I walked out of the tent, he followed me. He was guarding me while I was in the tent. I was so happy to see Boo-boo. I knew he loved me but I didn’t think he would’ve loved me this much.

Now, I joke with it with my mom on how Ginger was a chicken and just bursts inside. I believe you should always keep memories with you in your heart. I always have memories in my heart. I think you should too. I believe you always have someone by your side. Whether it is your dog, your mom, your cat, or even your stuffed animal. They will always be by your side for you. That could be loyalty to me. And so I ask you whether your name is Jake, or Lou. How is someone loyal to You?