The Knick Game

Will - Bedford, New York

I believe in sacrificing for loved ones. I believe in karma, and in the golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. Have you ever sacrificed something then afterwards you felt like an idiot? This happened to me so fast I felt like I couldn’t think.

It was in 3rd grade when I realized that making, people happy is totally worth it, even if it puts me on the loosing end of the deal. My dad got tickets to a Knicks game. The Knicks are my brother’s and my favorite team. I think they were playing the Chicago Bulls. My dad had two tickets for three people: my dad, my brother, and me. My dad set up a competition, and the winner of this competition could go to the game. The competition was: who could get the best grades, and who could do the most well done chores. I brought home the first one hundred percent on a quiz. My brother’s came soon after. The end of the marking period was coming closer and closer.

In the end we both got all fours (fours were the best possible grade in elementary school). But, he got a bad comment from his teacher for talking in class, so I won. At first my brother was mad, but he calmed down. And before the competition started my dad told us that there would be no crying when the competition was over. That is probably the only thing that kept him from crying. As for me, at first I was thrilled, and then I felt bad because he was so upset that he lost.

Before this opportunity my dad had already taken me to a few Knick games. Eventually, without any persuasion from my dad, I gave up the ticket for my little brother. Of course, it took me a while to decide weather to do it or not, but I thought that if I didn’t do it than I would feel bad when I got to the game and throughout the game I would be thinking about how my brother was feeling instead of enjoying the game. I believe in karma so I believed that giving up this ticket would pay off. They went to the game, and the Knicks won in overtime. As soon as they left, I immediately felt like an idiot for giving up the ticket. The fact that they won in overtime just made it worse but I was still feeling glad. Now I am in 7th grade. I still believe in the same types of things.

I am proud of myself for making my brother happy. I’ve been to a bunch of Knick games since giving up my ticket. And since the game my brother has been done plenty of things for me, he has given me things like gum, candy, food, money, laughs, and he’s made me brownies a few times. I believe in many things, but most of all, I believe in generosity, in karma, and in treating others how you want to be treated.