Overcoming Challenges

Jaqui - bedford, New York
Themes: setbacks

What is it like for a newborn baby with no parents? A newborn baby in a poor city in the Philippines with a very weak body with no parents. An unwilling unwanted baby girl. I felt like I may never find a family.

Later on I was in a loving caring foster family with people that hoped they would find a family that would love me. A year later my foster mom and dad found a perfect family for me. Even if the family lives all the way in the United States. I felt really happy that my foster family found another family for me.

It took the family about a few days to get to the Philippines.

They wanted to adopt me as their daughter. The family already had a son that was about the same age as my foster sister.

It’s the last day that I would ever be in the Philippines. I was crying like I never had before because I would miss my foster family and I would never see them again. Now that I am a 13 year old girl I look back at when I was in the Philippines and it makes me think about the many poor kids that may not have a family and that makes me feel very lucky that I have a family that has food, shelter, and running water.

When I got back to the United States my new family had to go to the judges and finalize all the paper, to allow me in the country and make me a citizen of the country. This made me very happy that I was in a family that wanted me. And they would never leave me like my birth mother and father did. After I was with my new family for a month I finally felt like I was in a safe place. And that I had overcome my fears of being left alone and not having a family that loved me. This I believe that even the smallest person can overcome any challenges. That with love and hope that the person could get anywhere in their life. I believe this because anyone can try to overcome challenges.