Prejudging Hurts

Estefany - bedford, New York

“Treat others as you want others to treat you.” Have you ever been judged before? I know I have. It hurts doesn’t it? It makes you feel like no one likes you. It makes you feel like you did something bad to them, for them to treat you like this.

I’ve been judged before in my old school. It was at Mount Kisco elementary school. I was in 2nd grade; I was only 7 years old. I was in the girl’s bathroom. My friends were there and some other girls that weren’t my friends. They started laughing at me. I just ignored them. Then one of them came up to me and said mean stuff about my clothes, shoes, and how my hair was up. I told them if you don’t have something nice to say then don’t say it at all.

One of the girls wanted to punch me. She was so mad and red from the anger. She was like a bull ready to attack. I don’t know why she was mad at me. My friends told her to cool down and that if she starts a fight we would all get in trouble. When my friend said “that she should but the fists down.” The girl just looked at her in a way that my friends got freaked out. They did not stop bothering me they called me names. One of them pushed me and made me drop my stuff.

It hurt me a lot. It felt like I did something bad to them but I know that I didn’t because I didn’t even talk to them. In fact they weren’t my friends at all. My friends were a lot of help to me. They comfort me when I am sad. They even settled the fight by talking to them because they were friends with them. They still called me names in the hallways but not that often. One of the girls was nice enough to say sorry to me. I forgive her. I told her that it was ok you were just there watching but you should have at least said something to them to make them stop. Not just stand there. We just left the problem there. She became my friend ever since that happened. If that never had happened we would have never been friends. I’m happy that we have been friends ever since that day in the bathroom.

I believe that we are all different but the same in our own ways. I believe that we are unique in our own ways. I believe that we have different languages. We are from all over the world. We can dress in a way that others think it’s weird. I believe we should be treated equally within all of us. I believe that we shouldn’t judge others for how they look. My teacher used to say this quote a lot in my class room “never judge a book by its cover.” That helps me a lot. It made me not judge others by how they are or how they look. This I believe.