It’s Not Just Ponies That Are Magic

Kyra - Bedford, New York

I believe in ponies. Yes, it sounds weird, but ponies have been a big part of my life ever since I was little. Ponies, unicorns, horses and Barbies. I still remember playing My Little Pony and Barbies with my sister. We used to name all of the ponies, and make houses for them and our Barbies. I loved to hang out with my sister, and we made up new games and jobs for our toys. My ponies and dolls could be whoever I wanted them to be, and do whatever I wanted them to do. It was fun having an older sister who would do that with me, and I was so happy.

When we were little, my sister and I were together almost every day. We braided our doll’s hair, and my purple pony, Jasmine, swam in the sink with Bethany the Barbie and my sister’s pink pony. Jasmine had tattoos on her back of flowers, and the pink pony had heart tattoos. We spent days building dream houses, and piercing their plastic ears with our earrings. My Barbie was a lifeguard, and Jasmine was her magical, flying pet. The next day, Jasmine could be a deep-sea diver in my bathtub, or an archeologist in my garden. When my dog attacked Jasmine, or any other pony, we were there to comfort each other, and we would go to the store to pick out some new friends for them. We even tried to operate on some of them and glue on the chewed off pony body parts. When I spent time with my sister, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

Over the years, my sister turned into a teenager, and she never had time for pony deep-sea diving in the bathtub. It was sad for me, but she was off experiencing new things. When my parents got divorced, we drifted a little farther apart, and she got really annoyed with me. Of course, when she made it to high school, she made some new friends, and did some things that made me angry. Over the years, we’ve each started to have a lack of understanding towards each other’s feelings.

This will probably sound really weird, but I wish that it were still the way it used to be. When were both bored to death in our old house, we would be able to sense that we wanted to play and be together. Then we’d jump up and run off and disappear, playing ponies in our rooms for hours- and it was fun. We just liked being together. Ever since we stopped doing that, I’ve been hurt. Because of this, I believe that you should be thankful for what you have, because one day, it might be gone. I didn’t expect her to become a different person in such a small amount of time. I know that my old sister, the one who had the time to hang out with me, is still there.

I would rather be playing ponies with my sister, than yelling at her and her friends to stop using my stuff when I’m not home. It hurts to feel like she’s more likely to yell at me, than to feel like she just wants to hang out with me. It is not completely her fault, I haven’t exactly been an angel to her, but it’s hard. Sometimes, what hurts the most are my memories, the good ones. It hurts the most to remember how things used to be, and to want to go back there so badly, but not being able to. I’m not saying that if she came up to me and said, “Hey Kyra, want to play My Little Pony with me?” I would say yeah and get really excited, like I used to get. I’m just saying that I feel like I don’t know her as well as I used to, and that doesn’t feel good.

My family is not the same as it used to be, and we may not all love each other every minute, but I have learned so much about myself, and other people. I’ve learned that no matter how much I want to, I can’t control other people. I can’t control my parents, and I can’t stop my sister from getting weird piercings behind my parent’s back. I can’t make her put away her cigarettes, and I can’t make her stop hanging out with her friends just because I don’t like them. She thinks I’m bossy, but I tell her to do these things because I love her, and I don’t want her to get hurt.

Things can change overnight. I didn’t think that just not doing one thing- playing with my sister- could change my life. I learned to be enthusiastic, and that some things don’t last forever. You really don’t know what you have until it’s gone. But most importantly, I learned that I believe in ponies. I believe that even though they are material possessions, plastic ponies can teach you a lot about life, show you things about people, and bring people together. This I believe.