That Special Thing

Brian - Bedford, New York

Have you ever had a special something like a person, place or thing? I had a special place and that place was taken away from me. In that place all of my memories, friends, and family were there. But taking that place away is like ripping my heart out and taking it away from me.

It happened five years ago. I was eight years old and I was living in Brooklyn, New York. More specifically Park Slope. Park Slope was a great place with nice houses and apartments. Also, it had friendly people. I had just finished second grade and summer had started a few days before and I smelled the sweet flowers of summer. My family and I had been looking at houses to move to in Westchester. I didn’t know that back then, I thought it was just for fun to look at the houses (remember I was eight.) It was fun to look at houses till my parents told me we were moving.

I didn’t want to move, life was great in Brooklyn. This made me as angry as lion that is fighting an enemy. Why would my parents even want to move? My grandma had died a few months before and my grandpa was lonely so they wanted to live near him. Also, my parents wanted more space. It would be a big change for me and I wasn’t flexible to the idea of doing that. Also, my brother wanted to move, I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t trust my parents when they told me that everything would be great when we moved. Even with all these reasons my parents told me about why we were moving, I still didn’t want to move. I wasn’t being flexible with my parents. Now that I think about it I was being pretty stubborn. I didn’t want to lose everything when I moved. I didn’t want to start over at a new school and have to make new friends. I liked my friends in Brooklyn. I knew even with all the whining and yelling I would move, and the day would happen.

That day happened and I couldn’t help it. I was like a cloud that was raining that’s how sad I was. I knew it wasn’t a dream that I was moving. A lot of my friends were there to say goodbye to me because they thought it would be the last time they would see me again (which it wasn’t). My parents then told me that I would visit my friends which I didn’t know. That made me feel better because I wouldn’t be so far away and I would be able to see my old friends. I believed that my life was most important and my needs came first. I started to learn that I should think of my whole family. Also, I learned that some changes are for the better and everyone wins from that change. Now when I think back to then I see that my parents made the right choice and it was for the better. I should have trusted them more. Now I have so many friends and have good grades and do what I love to do. All I had to do is trust my parents. I believe in flexibility to change even if it may be hard. I believe in trust when it seems the least likely to trust someone. This I believe.