Shake It Off and Start Over

Odalys - Bedford, New York

Life is like an Etch a sketch. Every time you mess up, you have to start over. Has it ever happened to you? That is how I felt, but I didn’t mess up, I just had a new start at a new school. I felt like my perfect picture just got shook up and I had to start over. Either way I had to move and construct my new perfect picture.

I overheard my parents say that we were moving. When I moved I was going into fourth grade. I had been at my old school for a pretty long time, since kindergarten. I was leaving all of my friends that I knew since I first went to school, but I was going back to the school that I was in during preschool.

When I got to my new school, my mom took me to the office and she told the principal that I was a new student. It was the first day of school and I didn’t know anyone. It felt really weird to be in a new school. For me it was like everyone was staring at me. I was like a new toy, and it felt like everyone wanted dibs. Finally I got into a class, and I was really nervous, because everyone was staring and everyone was putting away there school supplies. Obviously, I didn’t have school supplies, so I was just sitting there doing nothing.

That morning was horrible, I knew no one and I was lonely. It was lunch time and I only knew a few people, I knew them because they moved from the same school. I made friends so I got my lunch and sat next to them. So it was the end of the day and school ended, I had made a lot of friends, which made me feel happy.

Most of the friends that I made that day are still my friends. When I got to the middle school, I saw all of my old friends. It was great to see them again, we were all happy. It had been two years since I’ve seen them. My old friends and my new ones soon became friends.

Now I am in 7th grade, and I have a bunch of friends. I even make new ones every year. It’s funny how I said life is like an Etch a sketch because it’s true. My little brother has one, and he is always shaking it because he always messes up. He asks me to help him, which I do, but it reminds me of how I moved and I left my friends. Now it’s chaos every day, but just for the fun of the drama. Now my picture is even bigger than before, and it took me a long time to draw it, but it was worth the effort.

I believe when people move they leave friends behind. It’s hard to start over, but it’s always fun to do something new. People always think that if you leave something you will forget it, but I knew that I would never have forgotten my friends.