Soundtrack of My Summer

Brandi - Mt. Pleasant, North Carolina

I go to Florida every summer to stay with my sister and friends and just get away from the small dinky town life. And every year I go I meet some pretty cool people and have a really good time.

Well the last year I went I found something more then friends and family. I found what I thought would be love. Whether it was truly love or lust or just “puppy love” I’ll leave up to you. But it broke my heart to leave.

After getting home and settling back into the small town life I got a phone call on my cell. It was none other then the boy that stole my heart that summer. We talked for hours and when I started crying I needed an escape. So I got off the phone in the nicest and quickest way possible. I then realized that my family would be home soon and so I needed yet another escape. I went into the bathroom, locked the door, and went to sit in the bathtub. Once I climbed in I cried even harder. I turned on the CD player and hit “random” then reached over to turn on the water. I just let it hit me, water mixing with tears. I stood up and took off my now soaking wet hoodie and started to hum as I did so. I let the cool water hit my skin as I hummed louder and louder. When the song “Thunder” by Boys like Girls came on the lyrics made me sob harder. At “Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer Do you know you’re unlike any other? You’ll always be my thunder” I was belting it out with everything I had. It was insane and I was still crying through it all, but I loved every second of it. To have that moment, no makeup, no clothes, nothing to hold me back, the music as loud as it could go, and my voice ringing out, mind you it was off key, but my own and I felt free, like I could fly away, like my soul was lifted. Maybe it was fait or destiny that led me to go into the bathroom instead of my room, maybe it was something else. I’ve tried to recreate those moments before the song ended, but it’s never been quite the same. So needless to say… I believe in singing in the shower, I believe it is a place and time meant for you to be one hundred percent yourself, no makeup to hide behind and no clothes to conform to the trends. Nothing but you.