I Believe in the Golden Rule

Mike - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: golden rule

I Believe. . .

I believe in the Golden Rule: “Treat others how you want to be treated.” A lot of us may have heard sayings like this when we were little. Maybe we heard it when we were calling our brothers and sisters names or making fun of someone’s outfit. Our parents would say something along the lines of, “Now, if you were that person, would you want them calling you names of making fun or their clothes?”

Like it says in Matthew 7:12, “Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.” If our brothers and sisters do not know the answer to an easy question on their homework, we might make fun of them and say, “You are stupid. How do you not know that?” What we don’t realize is that they are younger than us and have not learned as much as we have. The Golden Rule helps you treat your friends and siblings well, listen to your parents and teachers, and respect authority. If you do not treat them how you want to be treated, it could result in actions against you that you would not want. Disrespecting these people could bring grounding or detentions, so respect others to avoid it. If you treat them how you would not want to be treated , you could receive consequences you don’t want, and it also goes the other way around.

All I am trying to get to is that you should do not do anything to others that you would not want done to you, because until you walk in their shoes you do not know how hard some things may be. In addition to that fact that God created us all equally, we should treat everyone as God treats us. God did give us life so we should respect all living things, big or small. God gave us life. so we should respect all living things, big or small.