I believe in making an impact

Danielle - USA

I remembered when I was a little girl sitting in our kitchen table with my brother and my mom came in with this young man in his mid-20’s. I had never seen him before or even heard of him. She told me he was attending a conference in our city and was going to spend the week-end in our home.

I came to found out that he met my mom in the hospital while he was visiting a friend. My mom was staying with my grandma in the same hospital room where his friend was being treated.

During my conversation with the young man, I was fascinated by the joy in him. He was always smiling, listening carefully to all our questions and answering all of them.

I wanted that joy, that energy, that passion. I had always been a shy and sad child. I always cried and I wanted to die. My grades at school were affected as a result.

I was raised by a single mother. She worked so hard to provide for us. There was never a dad at home. I barely saw my mom, because she was always working. I didn’t have a normal relationship with her. The times I saw her, she always seemed angry or depressed.

The young man soon noticed the sadness in me through my questions and found out the reason. He told me that even though I didn’t have a natural father, there was a God who cares deeply for me and loves me unconditionally. I looked at him and my eyes were filled with tears. I asked him why did God let it happened to me? He told me that God didn’t want it to happen, but He cannot control people choices. The young man told me that I was beautiful, special and unique. We stood at that kitchen table and spoke for hours. He took our hands and said a prayer for us before we went to bed. Nobody had prayed for us before. I felt so loved that night, I felt significant, and my life was never the same again.

I gradually became a new person, my shyness melt away throughout time. I discovered that I love to sing and dance. I became focus at school and my grades started improving. I went on to have awards all my years in high school.

My circumstances hadn’t really changed. I just had a new revelation. I visited a friend of mine for a week-end a while ago. She revealed to me later that she had been abused countless times in her life and had really lost any passion to live. She didn’t think that she was worthy.

I cried a lot while listening to her, spoke to her and held her hands to say a prayer. When I landed in Denver, she had left me a voicemail, saying how she was transformed by our time together. She was thankful for me and she wished she had met me earlier. I talked to her constantly on the phone and I am marveled by the change in her. She knows who she truly is and has found the desire to live again. A smile, a touch, a helping hand, speaking up, and listening can go a long way and restore lives. I am where I am today because someone made an impact in my life when I was 12 years old. This I believe.