I Believe

Madison - Overland Park, Kansas

I Believe

My parents gave me the example of faith during my childhood that guided me through my youth and now I am meet with challenges to maintain my it. When I was young and unaware of the distractions that exist in the world, I was really strong because I didn’t have any of the spiritual struggles that I have now. This assignment gave me the opportunity to take an honest look at the struggle of faith.

My family has struggled in the past with money and employment. Through those times, my parents gave me the example of having faith that I can carry with me in the future. I remember the times during my youth praying the family rosary, daily mass and consecrating ourselves to Mary. During prayer, I would try hard to pay attention & I always wanted to lead the rosary.

When my great grandma Maxwell died, it was really hard for me. We were really close. My parents told me to give the pain that was in my heart up to God. I did not understand that at the time but their was something about it that gave me peace. Also, when I asked God to help me through it, he would always answer so it was easier for me to believe that he was there.

As I grew older it became harder to focus and I lost interest in my faith. I wanted to be like everyone else and to do all they did. I started to worry about what people thought about me. I thought that I didn’t need Him and that I could do everything by myself. We all have to realize that no one can love if they don’t know God and no one can reach heaven if they don’t know God. I sometimes think that just because God doesn’t throw the solution in front of me, that He doesn’t care or isn’t listening. However, God surprises me by answering in ways I did not expect. God gives us what we need not what we want. God loves each and every one of us in ways we cannot comprehend. Now, I’ve had much more drive to do things right and to serve others and not just myself. I’m beginning to understand what God’s plan for me is; it’s starting to unfold in front of me. I now want to go to mass again because I know God will help me with all my worries if I just trust Him.