The Power of Friendship

Jonathan - Albuquerque, New Mexico

From casual acquaintance to hetero-lifemate (recently dubbed “bromance” for men), friends are one of the most valuable things a person can have. No substitute exists for a serious, meaningful, and reciprocated friendship.

Only in an amazing friend can a person truly confide their most personal and vulnerable feelings and beliefs. Friendship is life’s relief valve. This cathartic experience is as natural and necessary a part of life as eating or sleeping. Nonetheless, occasionally it fails or needs to be maintained and through repair the best friendships are forged. Sometimes though, friendships can become permanently broken.

Recently, a friend of mine managed to burn every bridge he’d made since middle school in the course of one day; alienating himself from virtually every friend he had. Although this friend of mine had grown distant from me over the past several years (and thus his actions weren’t as caustic in my eyes as they were with the rest of my gang) his plight compelled me to reflect on just how traumatic it might be to lose every one of my friends, or for that matter any one of my friends.

The act of friendship is a process that is strengthened dialectically. I, like everyone else, have gotten into my fair share of disputes with my friends. These quarrels usually either result in the galvanization of my relationships or leave me in a state of introspection wondering why things couldn’t work out. In any case, both are beneficial to the human condition.

Even more recently I got into a fight with my good friend and roommate. The issue at hand had been brewing for some time and I just HAD to get it off my chest. It got more heated than it ever had before, yet because we’re such good friends, and because we’re so similar and understand each other by the end of the night we had already begun to make amends. Our friendship had just begun a deeper and more meaningful chapter. My other roommate (our mutual friend) mediated the issue, and allowed us both to express ourselves in a healthy and supportive environment. I wouldn’t trade anything for either of them, or either of these experiences.

Many people have passed through the revolving door of friendship in my life, and the older I get the more I appreciate the ones that have stuck around and hugged it out with me. These are the people I wouldn’t trade for anything.