Reason for Passion

Patricia - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

I believe everything happens for a reason. As cliché as the statement may be, it is how I live my life. There is a reason for everything that happens to anyone. There is reason for rain and sun, bad days and good. There is a reason for my faith and for others faith, or lack thereof. There is a reason for illness, from the common cold to rare neurological disorders. There is reason behind everything that happens anywhere, this planet and beyond.

My most memorable homily has not been of those given at Midnight Mass or Easter Sunday. The homily that has given me the most insight to life was on a morning of which I debated on whether I would go to mass at all. Church is a rarity in my family. We attend when we visit my grandparents and on faith based holidays. So here I was, sitting in mass, grandparents and father at my side. Father Michael began his homily with, “Good days create happiness; bad days create experience. Both are essential to life.” That was the day that I decided to live life without regret because everything happens for a reason.

The events in my life have transformed me into the person I am today. I am hard headed but willing , cautious but determined. The most influential of these events has been the hardest. Throughout my life, I have been plagued with epilepsy. My parents seem to have the most tormented memories of my disorder. My mommy and daddy saw their six month old baby girl turn blue and stiff. They watched as Phenobarbital turned my early childhood into a lifeless sleepwalk. While I hate my epilepsy for bringing pain to those around me, I love my epilepsy for making me who I am today.

Ever since I was six years old I have wanted to help “kids like me.” My passion is in the field of medicine, more specifically neurology. My disorder is the reason for my passion. Without the blackouts, convulsions, and doctor appointments (Oh, so many doctor appointments.) I would not be the person I am today. I would not be at Winthrop University pursuing an undergraduate degree in biochemistry. I would not want to attend Duke medical school to help others with neurological disorders. Without my epilepsy I would be a different person. Everything happens for a reason.