What I Believe

Sam - Leawood, Kansas

“God, Family, and the Green Bay Packers.” This Vince Lombardi quote has always seemed to be the order my family lives out life. I believe that a persons family is the greatest possession one can own. Without my family, I am nothing. Your family not only raises you, but shapes who you become in life. My strict dad and loving mom have made me the sixteen year old that I am today. Not only have my parents given me life, but have given me a life full of good times, great challenges, but mostly love. I feel extremely blessed to have a mother and a father and siblings. However, my colorful extended family has affected me too.

I believe that all kinds of family are important. There are two very different sides in my extended family. The Frederick family is rather loud and somewhat obnoxious. They mean no harm, but sometimes the Fredericks don’t realize they have made a bad decision. My moms side of the family is very respectable and book-smart. Basically the Frederick family is a little rough around the edges and the Jones family is more refined. With this mix I get the perfect medium of experience and common sense. I believe that family members should always support one another. Both sides of my extended family are there for me no matter what difficulty I face.

My family and I have moved seven times. It is an experience that really helps a family come together. No matter what you are going through, you know there are four others in the same boat. Siblings are great because you already have built-in friends. Siblings know you better than any other friend you could possibly make. My family even sets aside a special time every day for each member to talk about the issues they are dealing with.

I believe all families should set aside time to be together. No phones, now T.V. The dinner table is our ultimate family conference table. Everyone is gathered in the same place at the same time, to not only to share a meal, but to share our day with each other. Our conversations run everything from my brothers new song, to the presidents speech, to the terrible genocide in Darfur There are so many stories, jokes, and memories being shared in out conversations. I believe that family time really helps builds a smart and strong character.

I believe that my family is my strongest asset. I can go to them for love, guidance, advise, or even just a laugh. We have been through a lot together, but we are always there to help one another. Whether it be homework or a personal issue, we console each member. I love my family, and I would not want to have it any other way.