I Believe

Katrina - Shawnee, Kansas

I remember, January 2001: when I was in second grade, and I had to move far away from my friends and family. To other people it might had not been very far, but to me it seemed like countries away. That was the year I moved from Wisconsin to Kansas. I knew it was gonna be a huge change; where I lived in Wisconsin was such a small town and where we would be moving was going to be the total opposite. At that time we were only supposed to move for two years, than we could move back. Of course, things changed throughout the time we were here.

Moving when I was so young had a big effect on me. I lost my accent right away. It was hard to move away from my best friend. We knew each other our whole lives. I didn’t get to see my relation everyday like I was used to. It was aIl different. I went to a public school instead of a Catholic school that I was used to. The kids weren’t the same. Everything had changed.

Years went by, way past two years. The biggest even in my life that I remember, other than the move, happened when I was in fifth grade. It involved my mom, my two sisters, one of my sisters friends, and me. We were on our way back to Kansas after New Year’s from visiting our friends. We were in Des Moines, Iowa. It was about the late afternoon, and we were on the highway. My sister and I were watching the movie “Holes” in the back seat of the car. My other sister and her friend were sleeping in the middle seats, and my mother was driving. Suddenly, before we could even say anything, we were swerving across from side to side of the road. The next thing I felt was flipping. I didn’t know what to do. I was scared. My mind was thinking so many things that could have happened. When the car stopped; we were all speechless. At that moment, that very moment, I felt my guardian angel.

Many cars had pulled over. We just happened to get lucky. One of the cars was full of nurses and a student in medical school. Right away they called 911. They were trying to stop all the bleeding. They had to rip our favorite blankets and clothes to try and help stop the bleeding. Finally, after everything calmed down a little, the ambulances came. First they took my mom and sisters friend. Than they took my older sister Leah and I. Lastly, they took my sister Brook.

Leah and Brook were just a little sore. My mom hurt her neck pretty badly. she was very sore, and had little scrapes from glass in and on her arm. Kelly, Leah’s friend, had gotten her hand smashed in-between the ground/concrete and the side of the car. All of the skin was mostly gone. She had to go in surgery a few times and stayed there awhile, but they got all the skin fixed and she was as good as new; with some scars. I had gotten my elbow smashed on the concrete and glass. There was glass all over inside my elbow, very deep down. I almost had to go into surgery, but instead they just tried getting the glass out with tweezers. It was very painful and emotional for all of us. All of us involve in the car accident and my dad and brother that were not. It took weeks for everything to fall back into place. It was hard.

Just this past year my grandpa had gotten diagnosed with lung cancer. My grandpa has so many grandchildren. This news was devastating to the whole family. The doctors tried everything they could to make it go away, but nothing worked. Instead, it kept getting worse. At first, my grandpa was depressed and hurt, but than thinking about it more he thought about his family and friends and decided he should make his last few months or maybe years the best time of his life. I love seeing my grandpa smile. Our whole family loves seeing his smile.

With events happening all the time in life, its hard to remember all of them. Whether they are good memories or bad. Whether we want to remember them or we don’t. Whether you regret them or you don’t. I wanna remember all the good ones, but I try to remember all the bad ones to learn from them.