The Value of A Loved One

Harriett - St. Louis, MO 63107, Missouri

I believe that you never realize what you have until you’ve almost lost it. Within today’s society, we tend to take for granted the individuals in our lives who we cherish most. Last year I experienced an eye opening event which allowed me to remember whom I cherish most.

I was spending my last week of summer with my cousin, away from home. I gave no concern towards calling my father and checking to see if he was ok. Then out of no where he came to visit.

I greeted him as usual, “Hey daddy,” possibly the last words I’d ever say to him, and hurried to the basement to watch a movie.

During the course of the movie I heard my father’s hearty laughter echo through the wooden floor boards. Moments after, the laughter ceased, causing an eerie coldness throughout the house. Suddenly, my cousin’s screams flooded every crevice of the house with a sharp tension. And all of a sudden everything within me halted. My thoughts centered on my daddy as I leapt up the steps, two at a time, and dashed toward the living room.

My father was having a seizure. I paused in doorway as everything moved in slow motion. I watched as my cousin frantically fumbled with the telephone and as my dad violently thrashed upon the chair. The only thing I could think was, not now. As If I was out of body, I watched my self tear the phone away from my cousin’s hand and dial 911, all the while holding my daddy and calling his name.

After about a minute my father’s deep brown eyes rolled back to a fixed gaze upon me, as he uttered “what…what…” He was completely oblivious to what had happen and said that he only knew that his baby was calling him. I sighed with relief. My daddy was still with me.

As I sat in the hospital and watched my father lay silently on the bed I thought of all the things I took for granted, primarily him. My father truly is everything to me and without him I would have nothing. And only after a near death experience was it that I realized this.

With every passing moment you think of how your life could be better and things which could make it better. Often times you disregard what you already have. Because of this experience I am a kinder, more caring, and grateful person. I realize that I am fortunate to have a father who cares so immensely for me and I now cherish each moment I have him. I believe that we as a society need to cherish the things and relationships we have, or risk losing them.