He is There

Tara - Lenexa, Kansas

I was told it would be something that I have never experienced. There was something amazing in store for me. It was the most beautiful day in the world. Being in the mountains was something I had never done before. The river seemed calm and peaceful. What I didn’t know was that after I got off of that raft; my life would be changed forever. On my white water adventure I realized that God is with me everyday and at my school.

Last summer I went white water rafting. There were six teenagers, one chaperone, and a guide in each raft. The day had gone by very smoothly while we were rafting, and we had gotten through all of the rapids very easily. Our guide pulled us over to the side. He told us that he and the other guides had to go observe this rapid because it was very dangerous. He came back after forty-five minutes. We were all nervous, so we said a prayer before we set off again. We were one of the last of about ten rafts to go through, and they had all made it safely. Within seconds of entering, we got caught by the current and were turned completely backwards. We tried to continue on, but we hit another rapid. This one made the entire raft turn completely vertical. Four girls fell out completely, but I stayed halfway in and was pulled back up. We were all rushing to try and get everyone out of the freezing water. They were being yanked and pulled, but we could only grab so many girls at a time. Finally, everyone was safely back on the raft.

This was one of first times that I actually felt God with me. I knew that God was always in my life, but this was the first time I had actually felt His presence. He was there. He kept me in the raft, and helped me pull my friends back in. He is the reason that no one got hurt. We got a scare out of it, but we also got God out of it. From that day forward I looked for Him in everything that I did. I searched for him in the smallest and biggest ways and places.

At my school, our faith is involved in everything that we do. As one body, we learn together, get through good and bad times together, and pray together. God is an enormous part of our community. He is always with us, and has helped us when we have truly needed it. St.James has gone through a lot, and God had been there every step of the way. He is still is there. God surrounds and fills the building with love. I feel safe when I am there, and I know that everything that happens is because of Him and for a reason.