Totally Dependent on God

Thomas - 66220, Kansas

Totally Dependent on God

In the times in which we live, we often hear people talk about how bad things are going to be in the future. The economy is failing, we are at war, and global warming is melting the ice caps. We may hear all this and despair. However, there is a comforting alternative. Rather than despair when thinking of the future, people just need to put their trust in God and not worry. I believe that when you give your total and unconditional trust in God, He will reward you. We can use the testimony of the Church, Scripture and personal experience to testify to this truth.

If we look at the early Church, everything was against them. They where persecuted by the Romans, victimized by their Jewish friends, and martyred by the government. Yet, they kept their trust in God, and they where rewarded by seeing Christianity spread to all parts of the world. They gave everything to God, and He rewarded them on earth as well as in heaven.

If one looks in the scriptures one can see that again and again Jesus lovingly promises that if we put our trust in Him, He will “reward you one hundred fold”(Mk: 10). In another passage, He assures us by saying, “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” (Mt: 6). In this verse, Jesus directly tells us that He will take care of us.

In my life, I can see that when I trust in God, he rewards me. For instance, last spring, my family got shocking information that we would move. I had to leave my friends and the house where I lived for nine years and three of my siblings were raised. But I trusted that God would make everything turn out all right. And I was right. I have more friends than I ever had, and I live in a better neighborhood than I would ever have thought possible.

God truly rewards us when we trust in Him. We need never be anxious or worried about the future when we realize this. We recognize His hand guiding both history and the Church. Furthermore, His word in the scripture and His love in our personal experience confirm His existence and providence. I challenge you to live your life totally dependent on God.