What I Believe

Paul - Olathe, Kansas

Many times in life my faith in myself, others and God have been tested. These experiences are what got me to where I am today and define who I am. Most times these occurrences happen when I least expected them, but turned out to be some of my largest defining moments. Through life I fought challenges involving peer pressure and drugs but by keeping my faith I overcame them.

Peer pressure comes in many forms and can result in life altering effects. Peer pressure effects humans from very young ages up to elderly individuals. For instance when I was in swimming lessons and got the option to jump off the high dive after class another classmate would see me walk up to the normal diving board ladder and yell, “ Paul aren’t you coming on the high dive?” By saying I did not want to was a form of not giving in to peer pressure. This may seem harmless but had I said yes, maybe I would look back and find myself being afraid to say no or stand up for my beliefs. After reaching my teenage years unfortunately the powers of peer pressure got stronger and the consequences became worse then choosing between a high dive and a normal diving board.

The affects of drugs and alcohol at a legal age have enough consequences let alone when you combine them with teenagers. After leaving an event one evening I went to get in my pickup and two teenage guys hollered at me and offered me chewing tobacco. At first I thought they were joking but when they started shouting the different flavors they had to offer me I realized they were being serious. Since chewing tobacco is not something I am interested in or find attractive I responded with a firm, no thank you. That experience made me realize what type of person I am by proving to myself that I am a person of faith and believe in doing the right thing.

God sends tests like the guys in the parking lot to me not to prove myself to him but to help me define who am as a person. Had I chose a different option other than no, the person standing in front of you today would not be me. My faith in God has molded a person with good Christian values and a definite sense between right and wrong. These aspects are what make my life fulfilling and worthwhile. By being confident in myself and my faith it makes times involving peer pressure seem like a puddle in the parking lot that I just have to hop over not a deep ravine from which if I entered who knows when I would come out.

I know my faith will be tested throughout my life. As long as I stay true to God, I know I will remain strong in who I am. I have many goals in my life and have no doubts in fulfilling them.