I Believe in selfgiving love and Colseness to Christ

Ashton - Overland Park, Kansas

I believe self giving love and closeness to Christ are the way to success. My parents have been my role models for these qualities. They have always put God first in our lives. Mom and Dad display their love for us everyday in sacrifices.

My mom and dad make it a top priority that we, as a family, go to Mass together on Sunday and pray together frequently. Ever since I can remember my family has had a weekly adoration hour. Although the whole family can’t always go because of other things going on, it is still a family commitment. We are expected to pray daily and follow our faith. Mom and Dad show me that if you want to be happy and successful you need a close relationship with Christ. They have shown me that you love each other through God, and with Him all things are possible. It has always been very obvious to me that my parents love my family. This can be seen in the way they are always giving of themselves and making sacrifices for us and one another.

My mom is always giving of herself whether it is of her time, love or other small sacrifices. She continually drives kids around to practices, or whatever activity they have going on. She buys us everything we need and want before she ever gets her self anything. Her personality is not the kind that pampers herself. She is patient, loving, kind, and always there for me. My mother is the one you see at all the ball games and performances, with the clean house and best meals. She is the one who makes the home made bread, and makes spaghetti for your school lunch. My mother is a perfect example of what a mom should be.

If you want a do-it-all dad you can find it in my Father. He is that dad who works morning, noon, and night; somehow, he still has time to coach us kids. I don’t know a more self giving and loving father. He never misses a game or performance. Daddy never complains about having to work all the time. My papa is the one who spoils his daughters and plays ball with his sons. Dad is the one who gives of himself, the dad who stays up all night helping you study, and still wakes up in time to be at work at six o’clock. He is faithful, loving and kind.

Through my parents, I have learned to be compassionate and charitable. I have grown in love for Christ. In their example I have understood the importance of God and virtue. Their illustration of love and self-giving has made me consider what others need first, and that in sacrifice of myself I will be happier.