Tomorrow

Nick - Denver, Colorado
Themes: work

I believe in tomorrow. Ever since Jeremy Schwartz’s wisdom to “live every day as if it were your last” was imparted on me, I entered into an inner struggle to balance planning for the future and enjoying everyday as if it were my last.

Growing up in a typical Midwestern, suburban family, planning for the future was a part of every day life. During my youth the values of saving for the things that you want and not being wasteful of the things you have were basic lessons. As a twenty something, this conflict has become more pressing. Going to school at night and working during the day requires that many aspects of being young are neglected. The time spent on the weekends in the library instead of on the golf course being care free is only the beginning of the sacrifices that must be made. Ultimately it becomes necessary to analyze whether the opportunity cost of time spent in the present is worth creating a better opportunity for the future? Uncertainty about the actual payoff of hard work today is perhaps the most concerning variable.

Despite the headwinds to ignoring the sacrifices in the present while investing in the future, I chose to focus on long term goals and objectives. Support is the main driver that has pushed me to stay focused on the big picture. My family helps to keep my priorities balanced. Friends are the counter balance, in that they will be sure to point out if I am missing out on something. This equilibrium is an example of a harmonious relationship that must exist to accomplish success.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but living focused on tomorrow provides hope for more success and accomplishment in the future. Belief in tomorrow’s opportunity is exemplified in Robert Louis Stevenson’s words guiding one “don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” I believe in this motto. Hard work is going to pay off, and that is something of which everyone needs to be reassured.