Friendship

Morgan - Lenexa, Kansas

My life is filled with things I believe in. I need these beliefs to get through the good and bad times. The belief that has gotten me through all of the times is friendship. It has touched my life in many ways. I believe that not only do your friends help you through times of difficulty, but you need to be that friend for others as well.

Everyday my friends change my life in ways that they don’t even know. Something as simple as them saying “hi” to me can turn a bad day around. When my grandma died, I had a really hard time coping with it all. My friends were there comforting me whenever I needed them. I know I can count on them whenever something tough comes my way. Not only have my friends always been there for me, but I have found that it’s important to be there for them also.

A few months ago, I was completing my service hours at an after school care facility. I had never really felt that I had made a difference until one particular day. As always, I arrived at the daycare and started talking to some girls. A few minutes later, I looked over to find a girl sitting by herself. I automatically went over to talk to her. By the end of our talk, I had been listening more than talking. She told me all about how she felt like nobody liked her and how she always felt left out. Afterward, she thanked me for being nice to her and for listening to her. When I walked out of the daycare that day, I felt like I had been a friend to her and had really made a difference.

Through the experiences I have had with friends, I have learned that I need to be more focused on being the friend I would like to have. Now, because of the effort I have put into being a good friend to others, I have more friends. These friends will be with me through anything and everything. “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”