The taste of Food

Jessica - Boise, Idaho

Waking up to my alarm clock at 8:30 a.m on a crisp Sunday morning was something that was very important to me. I would jump in the shower, throw on some clothes and wake up my brothers to drive to my great grandpa’s house. When we would arrive at my grandpa’s house, my grandpa would always be ready to go, full of energy and hungry for breakfast. Sundays were our day; we would go out to Golden Corral where I would get my grandpas meal that he wanted, which was usually the same. My grandpa really liked to eat scrambled eggs, two pancakes smothered in butter and syrup, two sausage links and also two bacon strips. While my grandpa would enjoy his meal, he liked to wash it down with black coffee that he normally drank every early morning. Next, along with my brothers, we would get our food, then sit and enjoy our meal. My brothers’, Jason and Connor and I usually would mix it up with a variety of all sorts of food. This just wasn’t any meal; it was a meal with my grandpa. We would sit and talk about anything and everything going on in our live while we enjoyed eating and having conversation. Sunday, being the day that we would eat together has changed since I was young. When I was young, I used to live in Ontario, Oregon on a farm with my mom and two brothers. My grandpa lived in Boise at the time and never missed coming to Ontario on every Sunday. Every Sunday he would take my brothers and me out to lunch at McDonalds. McDonalds was my favorite place to eat. Next, when we moved to Boise, it was then dinner that we would get together and enjoy a meal with each other. We would go to JJNorth’s. Later, it was breakfast that my brothers and I would go out and eat with him. Seeing how long this has been in my life is something that I never want to forget. This is where I first got my belief.

My Great grandpa Nelson passed away in January 2009, as I watched him take his last breath. Dyeing from cancer is something that I will never get over. Cancer runs in my family and has taken the lives of many of my loved ones. My grandpa lived till he was 91 years old. He has taught me many things that I will take with me throughout my life and never forget. Having all the good times with him have kept the memories a live within me. Spending every Sunday with him, among all the other days, and the many meals we have spent together have been the best times in my life.

I believe that food is one significant way in which friends and family can be brought together. Having something that brings people together is something that is very precious. I came to this belief by being with my family, having my own self habits with cooking and eating food and enjoying the great taste it brings among all the different kinds of food. This came from the inside. Deep down, I have a strong connection with what it has done with me and the outcomes that I choose to live with. I feel that engaging in conversations, listening and talking to each other along with a meal is something that everyone should be involved in. Being with friends and family, coming closer and enjoying something tasty is priceless.