I believe I am Human

Jason - Castle Rock, Colorado

I believe I am a human that lives on the planet Earth and that links us together. Throughout my life I have always been taught to look at things in the simplest of manners. At an early age, I was shown that if I hold true to my principles, if I simplify my beliefs, then I will be who I am. I have taken my childhood to heart and I know that no matter what I think, no matter what I do, I am a human. I live on this planet. There is no escape. It is who I am. If you are reading this, it is who you are. There are no exceptions to the rule. There isn’t anything that can change it.

No matter how much you despise being a part of the human race, you are a part of it and you are linked together for it. This I know, because so am I.

No matter what cultural, experiential, emotional, physical, or mental attributes I may have. I am a human. I exist on this planet and so do you. The differences do not drive us apart, because we are intrinsically linked, and bound together. We are all human, we all live on this planet.

I have seen too much baseless inequality. I have read history books of people being discriminated based on the color of their skin. It has occurred across the globe. I have sat in classes where I learned about genocide of entire ethnicities. I have even heard discriminatory remarks based solely on someone’s national origin. Yet all of these fail to realize the most simplest of facts. I am human and so are they. We all inhabit the same planet. We are all human.

From these basic facts, I believe that I am intrinsically linked to all other humans on this planet. I care about what happens to every one of them. I realize that everything I do has an effect on them. There is nothing I can do to change that, but to treat everyone as if I am linked to him or her. I do this because I believe I am linked together, because I am human and I do live on this planet.