I Believe

Rebecca - Shawnee, Kansas

The day my grandfather was buried, I knew there was a God.

My grandfather had always been a devout Catholic and a hardworking man. He

had worked at Hallmark for decades as an engineer. He created many things there that

are now in use at Hallmark, such as Hallmark Card Creations. He also invented the

original prototype for the sound cards. Religiously, he was strong. He was like most

Catholics by attending Mass every Sunday. Around ten years ago, his second wife was

diagnosed with cancer; in 2007, it came back stronger. He nursed her through it, but in

August of the same year, she died. Although it is sad, things got worse.

On Christmas Eve of 2007, my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. He

never thought about death; he always thought that there would be a cure, a miraculous, unknown cure. He seemed to be doing better, but suddenly, everything went south. The

cancer spread throughout his body. It hit everywhere, from his organs to his bones, yet

he still never thought about death. Eventually, it became so bad that he needed a

hospice nurse. Although my family prayed for a miracle, my grandfather died in March

2008.

I just couldnʼt believe it. He was my best friend, and we were so close with each

other. I was in shock; I didnʼt think that the cancer would affect him so fast. It had only

been three months since he was diagnosed, and he was dead. I began to doubt my

faith. I had just lost two family members in seven months.

A few days later was the visitation. So many people came to pay their respects. I

never really knew how many people knew my grandfather. He was well known

throughout his town. I was amazed that so many people cared about him. Seeing this

somewhat raised my spirits, and I didnʼt feel so bad anymore.

On Friday was the funeral. I began to feel better because I know that he wasnʼt in

pain anymore, but I still really missed him. All of the grandchildren were taken to the

church in a funeral in a van while the rest of the family was taken in limousine. As we

pulled up to the church, the song “I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe came on the radio. I

was speechless. “What is going on?” is the only thing that was running through my head

for awhile.

My grandfather was an amazing man that I was really close to. He was strong in

his faith, and he was always hardworking. He was also extremely close to his entire

family. I believe that he knew how sad I was when he died, and that through the song,

he sent me a sign from God that he was alright and that everything was going to be

okay.