Artashes - lexington, Kentucky

Time passes quickly for us while we are enjoying life, but it slows dramatically if we are waiting anxiously for the weekend to come by. Slowness is probably due to focusing our attention on shorter intervals of time. I feel compelled about time and the mysteries that lay behind it. Is our mind depended on time? If our mind did not exist would time exist? What is time outside of our minds? Time is a challenging concept to understand and that’s what persuades me to try to comprehend it. Time gives me questions that result in other questions, which indirectly provide answers. I believe time is the measure of change. I believe in change.

Time brings in powerful changes. It tends to erase thoughts and emotions, change the past and the present. I ask myself sometimes, why aren’t my surroundings as amusing to me as they once were? It is time taking effect?. Our appearance, surroundings and our thoughts change rapidly as the time arrow travels and our minds do nothing but forget. I believe time can be reversible, mentally of course not physically. This takes me back to my childhood to understand time. I recall having a very different concept of the world. I never questioned what is a beginning and an end. Everything was just timeless. I truly exited in the moment. The days were longer and sometimes felt infinite. Everything was new and I had to fully discover it by trial and error. My mind was clear and pure yet wanted to be filled with memories. My surroundings appeared new and interesting. The trees, the grass, and the world was luminous. Life was a felicity. Every day was an adventure. My eyes paid attention to every pebble on the ground as if they were treasures. Sounds would echo in my ears as beautiful harmonies. Everything was undiscovered and my psychological time arrow had just started its journey.

To understand time it is useful to think like a child, untouched by manmade beliefs. I believe in time because it is one of the most important measures in life. Time is not independent from space and space is not independent of time. They are bound together. I believe each living organism or even a non living physical particle such as a proton, or a neutron has its own measure of time. Childhood is a great example. As a child time passes much slower due to the number of thoughts and actions that occur. On the other hand, an older person is able to do fewer actions during the same time. Time gets shorter and shorter the less we think and move. The nonequivalence of the time scale could be seen in the micro world and macro world. For example, in the micro world, the unit of time is tied to each particle‘s revolutions. In one second the particle can revolve thousands of times therefore its lifespan in this scale will be considerable. But looking at the macro world those particles have very short life spans. Therefore, the time scale is not absolute. In my view of life, to live long does not mean to live a long life in years. It means to live by the moment and be active and work hard, produce and function. That’s why I create aesthetic objects, I feel as if I trap time in each one. For example, there have been poets like Misaac, Misaets and Petros Durian who lived for only twenty years ,but their accomplishments are more than those of some who have lived a hundred years. They lived in the moment .If one is not thinking and acting, then one is not living . Some insects only live for one day, but their experience of life only seems short to us.

The heart is only ever beating now. It will only ever beat now. Likewise there is only one place where my imaginations of past and future can be relived, and likewise we don’t relive these imaginations in the past or in the future. I’m reliving them right now. There are blinks between the past and the future. These blinks are what we may call present life. Now I build the platform that I will act upon the future.

Another phenomena that is connected with time and astonishes me are dreams. In our dreams we can surf to the future or the past. Many times my dreams can reflect an intuitive analysis of the past and guide me through the labyrinth of the future possibilities. Dreams are an example of the relativity of time. We as humans only dream for a few minutes, yet it feels as if a day went by.

Our visions of everything are also relevant to time and time is depended on the speed of light in our consciousness. For example, when we look at the stars ,the sun, and everything else around us we are gathering the in formations that are in the past. For example, I look at the sun and it takes eight minutes for the light to come from the sun to me so that moment for me as a present is the past for the sun. Therefore, everything we hear and see is the past. The present is only for myself. I live by the moment.

The existence of substance depends on the energy that it bears and the type of interaction with other substances. If we consider that there is an after life, then that form of existence should bear some kind of energy and to not lose that energy. So it should not interact with other forms of existence because the interaction will cause change and this change will mean that there is time and the existence of time means that there is a beginning and an end. Every change by itself means beginning or end.

I believe in time because it raises questions that raise other questions the thought of it is ever-changing as is life and everything subjective. In other words time is the mystery in my misery.