Fight Hard

Cody - Lexington, Kentucky

I believe in fighting. From fighting for your dreams to your last breath of air. To standing up for what I believe in and what I may not. For making a change instead of following one, as, many individuals do. People must make it known that they don’t care about the repercussions of what their belief may be and that any obstacle in their way will be moved in order for them to achieve. In order to fight for what I believe, will power, courage, and strength must all be an evident attribute.

From that cold morning on February 14, 2009, I had discovered what I had been fighting for. I wanted to make history, put my name in the books, and bring home the trophy. My last name has been known throughout my heritage from my family striving to have their name noticed too. I wanted to make it that day, from winning and bringing that win back to my college. I was at a collegiate boxing match in Wheeling, West Virginia which I hadn’t known I was going to be contending in until a couple days before. As I began my warm up and began to become mentally ready, I knew it was time and that today was my day. No one would be able to take it away from me. As I put on my sweatshirt, I hear my name echo through the halls of the newly built community college, “Cody Cain.” I begin to walk into the ring and the sounds of cheers as well as boos began to fill the air of the gymnasium. Suddenly, I realized I was fighting who I was fighting for, me. Within the next 30 seconds my competitor had entered the ring and was staring a hole right through me with the intent of intimidating me. But, I could see the fear in his eyes and that he was putting on a major show.

The bell rings and we edge towards each other. I throw a right and connect on his chin. He is dazed and I hear my coaches scream and tell me to continue to put pressure on him. I was throwing heavy blows and he was almost done, then the bell rang signaling the end of the first round and a minute break. I take in deep breaths, preparing for the second round with the intentions of ending the match early. The second round beings and we are trading continuous blows back and forth, then we both realize how tired we were. With a deep relief, the bell rings ending this torturous second round. As I sit on my stool, I tell my coach, “After I win this match, I am done with boxing.” I stand back up and the third and final bell rings, and I come in strong. I throw a jab, then an overhead right, then follow up with a sweeping hook that knocks my competitor into the ropes, showing he was hurt. I step in and feel something come over me and into my fists as I throw a heavy right. His neck flings back over the ropes and his eyes close. The referee steps in between us waving his hands in the air showing I had defeated him with a knockout. He center’s us in the ring and raises my hand victoriously. Right then and there in that moment, I realized that you have to fight for what you want and believe in, in order to succeed.

Every individual has a certain belief, sport, or opportunity they are willing to fight for. Deeper than throwing punches, more towards devotion and heart for that essential belief. The importance of this belief can make some do anything to achieve and take hold of it. As many have seen in the past, we have had lots of leaders take their beliefs, make them public, and produce a movement. One I would like to mention would be Martin Luther King Jr. He believed in the complete freedom of African-American people and made the movement pass. He accepted the repercussions of what may happen, and he knew what his future was. He died for his movement and succeeded in producing a free country for anyone. Some thought the day may never come that we see an African-American in office, but today we do. This is a proud thing to say as a country because this is just one instance where you see that anything is possible.

Belief in a higher power is a priority in my life. Believing in God and fearing God is something that is essential in my daily life. We must fear God to do the right thing and we must believe in him when things are bad or when we lose someone important to us. The way I have made it through all of my heartaches and life as a whole, is through God. I have complete in total faith in him and I give him my life to do with what he wants. I trust him and know that, the lord giveth and taketh away. That is something that has been near my heart and something I live my life in accordance to. I make sure that when I am given something, I know it can just as easily be taken away from me. Which is what kept me from showing off at the boxing match that cold February day. It can happen to me too.

These beliefs though haven’t just formed upon their own. I have been raised by my parents and instilled with many values that I try to live up to from day to day. My grandfather is a highly notable person for the way I live my life today. He believed in the phrase, “Roll with the flow.” The meaning of this is that whatever is thrown your way, grasp it and overcome that barrier. This makes life seem so much easier to me with this in my mind. I seem to be able to achieve anything and I know that I can make it. The phrase I believe in as well is, “Live Fast, Die Fun.” I believe in living life to the fullest. Don’t be afraid of what you do today, because tomorrow may never come. It makes for an easy and inspirational motto to live by.

If people didn’t believe in anything, they wouldn’t make it through the day. All happiness would be gone in the world if individuals didn’t have these beliefs. This has made me believe in many things because it helps me get through the days. Fighting is highly important to me because it shows how big of a heart I have. If I just let things slide by without noticing or wanting to step in the way, then I wouldn’t be where I am today. Everyone needs something to believe in and strive for to assist them through the day.

Believing in anything ultimately overcomes any obstacle that may come our way. I can use my beliefs in fighting for what is right and not sitting back to overcome people I may face, issues I may deal with, or heartaches I may have. It all depends on how strongly you believe in it. Fighting can be used in many different ways. I can fight for love, fight for justice, or fight for the sake of fighting. All of it is the same when it comes to your belief. Everything can be centered around fighting as the ring was centered around me the day the rose my hand in victory. It is a simple thing that can help you achieve your wildest dreams.